Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lego Hawkeye

I had initially planned for an exciting recipe today, but since we're actually celebrating the 80th anniversary of Lego (the 22nd), I felt it was more appropriate to do an article on Lego.


Most of my readers know I really like the superheroes. Even if I don't collect that many superhero action figures, they're my main interest. It also goes without saying that I like the bricks. So when Lego decided to start the Superheroes theme, you can imagine how excited I was.
I have a few of the bigger sets on their way from Lego's online shop, so I can't show those yet. But I managed to get hold of a promotional sample of Hawkeye. I felt this was very adequate, as Hawkeye has been featured a few times before here in this blog, and he's probably my favorite Avengers character.

Read on for a few more pictures.


The minifigures are just too cute for words. They can give them all the mean faces they want. They can cover them in weapons and dark, tactical outfits. They are still minifigures - and I like that. Even a total bad ass like Clint Barton, The Hawkeye has to find himself being adorable.


Naturally, he's in his costume from the new Avengers movie. I hope we will see comic accurate costumes in the future, specially for Hawkeye. I loved the movie, don't get me wrong. I saw it several times already, and it's quite possibly the best in the genre so far. But when it comes to Hawkeye's costume, it's so ridiculously over the top, superhero-style, you just have to love it. Bright colors, floppy boots, mask.


Here he is from last years cartoon Avengers, Earths Mightiest Heroes, in a costume very similar to the original comics. The cartoon has just started season 2, and is looking promising. They just debuted cartoon versions of Guardians of the Galaxy, which was cool.


This was a promotional sample, and notice that he comes with a back drop, with as few accessories. They can't distribute him as just the minifigure - like they do with the collectible minifigures. The reason is that the minifigure alone is considered an action figure, and the rights to make Marvel action figures is over at Hasbro. But when he comes with additional bricks to build a scene, it's considered a building set, which is a different product. Weird? It's business. Hey at least we're getting Lego superheroes, even if we have to buy three different Quinjets and various Batcaves in the process.


Not a lot to say on the contents. Well, I can say that for a "free" set, this is a nice amount of bricks, and a fantastic minifigure. Sorry for shitty iphone pictures, when I get the bigger sets, I'll snap a few pictures with my trusty old Canon EOS 1000D (See I mentioned you, Canon. Now can I get an upgrade? Or at the very least a macro lens?)


I have to admit, I don't like that particular hair piece, and it should have been a darker color. But the details on his suit is amazing. The quiver (which was one of the high points in the movie - and that's saying a lot), is painted on the back, I like that. He has print on his torso, front and back. And on the  front of the legs. Head has two sides, one with glasses and a closed mouth, and one with clenched teeth. One black glove. He didn't really have a glove, but I can see why they did it.
The additional pieces form what could be a rack within the Helicarrier, and has S.H.I.E.L.D colors.


I like this. It's an 80 year old toy (well, technically it's more like 60, and the for the minifigure it's more like 40) that has maintained a lot of it's original ideas, yet is sufficiently updated. Much like the character itself, who's closing in on 50 years!
And I like it because it's Lego Superheroes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only problem I have with it is the hair. I mean... the hair. THE HAIR. But that said, it IS Lego and it is a real mini-fig. Still cool.